DDP Open Society Foundation Project
Youth, Democracy and Elections: Promoting youth political participation and engagement: reclaiming a youth-friendly democracy
Open Society Foundation (OSF-SA), formerly the Open Society Institute, is a grant-making network founded by business magnate George Soros. Open Society Foundations financially support civil society groups around the world, with a stated aim of advancing justice, education, public health, and independent media.
The Open Society Foundation for South Africa promotes the values, institutions, and practices of an open society, in which the rule of law and divergent opinions are respected. It has a vision to empower people to actively participate in the democratic process through our grantmaking, advocacy, research convening and communications roles; and to help the public, private and civil society sectors work together to advance socioeconomic progress and social cohesion.
DDP and OSF-SA understand that an organization that prioritizes the youth development agenda makes a profitable investment in the future of its country. Hence, they have been leading shifts that make way for youth development, advocating and equipping young people with necessary skills that promote growth and developing their capacity to take charge of the affairs in their own county.
- To enhance youth political activism and participation in the Province of KwaZulu-Natal
- To mobilize young people towards participating in the country’s electoral system
- To advance socioeconomic growth for young people
1 year: November 2021 – October 2022
- To develop an engaged and informed citizenry, ready to participate in the country’s electoral system voting for political parties of their choice.
- To strengthen an active network of community radio stations educating citizens on democracy, voting, and elections, whose personnel are encouraged to sustain empowering conversations on air.
- To achieve changes in young people’s understanding of active citizenship, youth civic and political engagement.
- Developing an informed civil society that is actively mobilizing citizens towards participating in the elections whilst being vigilant to ensure that the elections are free and fair.
- Umngeni Municipality
- Msunduzi District Municipality
- Mkhambathini Municipality
For more information regarding the work of DDP and OSF in these Municipalities; please click on the municipal logos below.
- Municipal Youth Managers
- Public Participation Officers
- Civil Society Organizations working with the youth
- Radio Stations in the Province that are passionate about youth development
PROJECT KEY ACTIVITIES:
- Inception workshops to introduce the intervention to potential partners.
- Community dialogues.
- Capacity Building Workshops.
- Radio talk shows
- Debriefing to assess the impact of the intervention.